Atlanta Word Works (AWW) is a program of VOX that focuses on poetry writing and spoken word performance. It was originally started by VOX alumna Natalie Cook, and has since become an integral part of VOX programming. Since its inception, AWW has sought to provide space for youth poets throughout the metro Atlanta area to grow and express themselves. In order to accomplish this, each year we host poetry workshops, open mics, and slams open to the community. We also host the Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate program, and now, our new youth poetry collective. All of Atlanta Word Works’ programming is run by current and former participants, operating under a near-peer model. Check out some of our featured Atlanta Word Works content.
Atlanta Word Works Summer Poetry Collective – Now Accepting Applications!
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION!
Atlanta Word Works, for the first time, is introducing a quarterly poetry collective as a way to build better community, writers and civic engagement. The goal of this collective will be for poets to come together on a regular basis to grow in their skills as writers, performers, community members, and peers. The Poetry Collective is a CLOSED group (meaning it is a set group of people) that will serve up to 10 teens during summer.
- Be a teen (13-19) in the Metro Atlanta area
- Be interested in growing as a writer, performer, and community member
- Complete the application: Here
- Be able to commit to the following: meet with the collective twice a week (may move to 3 times closer to performance time), participate in a summer end poetry performance, support one community poetry workshop or open mic, and publish on VOX ATL in the media form of your choice
Benefits of Participation:
- Expand your skills in poetry writing, editing, and performance experience in a community of your peers
- Expand your skills as a facilitator (including opportunities to engage with the metro Atlanta community)
- Publication on voxatl.org and in a chapbook with other collective members
- Participation in our summer end showcase
When is the Atlanta Word Works Youth Poetry Collective?
The poetry collective will meet twice a week on Tuesday and Thursdays from 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. at the VOX office (downtown Atlanta) beginning on June 4th and running through the beginning of August.
View this post on Instagram
All the love for these amazing poets who shared their truth this weekend at the Art Not Ego slam at VOX-A-Palooza! The top five are going on to represent Atlanta at Brave New Voices this summer. Please help us support their journey with a donation at bit.ly/awwvox. All donations will be MATCHED by City of Atlanta – Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs. @voxroxatl
Upcoming Atlanta Word Works Programming:
Stay tuned for updates on Atlanta Word Works Programming happening in the community.
Email email@example.com or call the VOX office: 404-614-0040