Atlanta Word Works (AWW) is a program of VOX that focuses on poetry writing and spoken word performance for teens in Metro Atlanta. It was originally started by VOX alumna Natalie Cook and has since become an integral part of VOX programming. Since its inception, AWW has sought to provide space for youth poets throughout the metro-Atlanta area to grow and express themselves. We host poetry workshops, open mic nights and slams open to the community. VOX also hosts the Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate program and our youth poetry collective. All of Atlanta Word Works’ programming is run by current and former participants, operating under a near-peer model. Check out some of our featured Atlanta Word Works content.
VOX ATL and AWW is home to Metro Atlanta’s Youth Poet Laureate Program!
The application for the 2023 Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate is now open! Apply here
What is the Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate Program?
The Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate Program aims to identify young writers and leaders who are committed to civic & community engagement, poetry & performance, human relations, diversity, social justice and education across Metro Atlanta.
Timeline: March 2023 – May 2023
- Residents of the Metro Atlanta Area (ie: Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb, or Gwinnett county)
- Teens 13-18 years of age
- Teens with an interest in poetry writing and performance, as well as a demonstrated interest in community engagement and youth empowerment
- Serve as a representative for youth voice and poetry in Metro Atlanta (access to performances, readings, etc.)
- Be published in the National Urban Word Youth Poet Laureate anthology
- Eligible to compete in the regional and national Youth Poet Laureate competitions and all national Youth Poet Laureate programming with other youth across the country
- Option to receive either a $500 prize or the resources to self-publish and print your own chapbook
- Fill out the application here
- Applicants are required to:
- Submit 5 original works of poetry
- Submit a resume, CV, or brag sheet detailing applicant’s accomplishments, community service, after-school program participation, awards, or anything else applicant wishes to highlight about themselves
- Submit adequate responses to all application questions
- After the submission period has closed, the applicant pool will be narrowed to five finalists by community judges. The five finalists will then be invited to compete in a slam at our Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 13, 2023. This slam will take place in Atlanta, GA. All five finalists will have to be present to be honored at the event for their commitment to community and the arts. However, at the conclusion of the event, the 2023 Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate will be chosen.
Email questions to email@example.com
2023 Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate (YPL) Timeline
Application Opens – March 3 2023
Application Closes – April 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
YPL Slam and Commencement Ceremony: Saturday, May 13, 2023
The Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate is a joint program of Urban Word NYC (National Youth Poet Laureate home) and VOX ATL. This program is supported in part by the City of Atlanta Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs, and by Georgia Council for the Arts through the appropriations of the Georgia General Assembly. Georgia Council for the Arts also receives support from its partner agency – the National Endowment for the Arts.
Current and Previous Atlanta Youth Poet Laureates:
Jayla Jackson 2022-present
Aanika Eragam – 2021 – 2022
Nathan Wallace – 2019- 2020
Ogechi Ofodu – 2017- 2018
Ninel Nekay – 2016-2017
Kenny Buckner – 2015