Atlanta Word Works (AWW) is a program of VOX that focuses on poetry writing and spoken word performance for teen in Metro Atlanta. It was originally started by VOX alumna Natalie Cook and has since become an integral part of VOX programming. Since its inception, AWW has sought to provide space for youth poets throughout the metro-Atlanta area to grow and express themselves. We host poetry workshops, open mic nights and slams open to the community. VOX also hosts the Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate program, and now, our youth poetry collective. All of Atlanta Word Works’ programming is run by current and former participants, operating under a near-peer model. Check out some of our featured Atlanta Word Works content.
Atlanta Word Works’ Virtual Summer Poetry Intensive – Now Accepting Applications!
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION!
This summer at VOX, through Atlanta Word Works, our spoken word and poetry performance programming, we have decided to introduce a virtual poetry intensive for teen poets in Metro Atlanta. Our hope is to continue to build community and create new ways for us to stay connected. We will be challenging our teen contributors, and teaching artists to grow and adapt with the world, as we move into uncharted territory together. The goal of this intensive will be for poets to come together on a regular basis to grow in their skills. They will spend the summer expanding their skills as writers, performers, community members, and peers. Our teaching artists leading this effort will offer their artistic feedback to aid in the development of the next Atlanta Youth Poet Laureate.
- Teens (13-19) in the Metro Atlanta area
- Those interested in growing as a writer, performer, and community member
- Must complete the application in its entirety, including parent/guardian permission if under the age of 18
- Those able to commit to the following:
- Meet with the intensive three days a week, for three consecutive weeks during the month of June
- 30 minutes of writing everyday (Monday-Friday), outside of the writing that we do during intensive meetings
- Participate in a virtual end of semester performance
- Publish at least one piece on VOX ATL’s website in the multimedia form of your choice
Benefits of Participation:
- Expand your skills in poetry writing, editing, and performance experience in a community of your peers
- Publication on voxatl.org and in our print publication with other collective members
- Participation in our summer-end virtual showcase
When is the virtual summer poetry intensive?
The intensive is a three week program where participants will meet in the virtual space, 3 times a week. It runs from June 8, 2020- June 26, 2020.
- Building Bonds
- Collaborative Creating
- Performance Preparation
Meetings will be held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2 p.m.-4:30 p.m. via the Zoom platform.
View this post on Instagram
All the love for these amazing poets who shared their truth this weekend at the Art Not Ego slam at VOX-A-Palooza! The top five are going on to represent Atlanta at Brave New Voices this summer. Please help us support their journey with a donation at bit.ly/awwvox. All donations will be MATCHED by City of Atlanta – Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs. @voxroxatl
Upcoming Atlanta Word Works Programming:
Stay tuned for updates on Atlanta Word Works Programming happening in the community.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the VOX office: 404-614-0040