VOX Investigates is a semester-long project in which teens enrolled in VOX’s after-school program take a deep dive into different topics of that are important to Atlanta-area youth. Through reporting, self-expression and publishing, we share teens’ voices, information and resources to make change.
You can find all of our VOX Investigates content here.
Our next topic is youth in action — how teens make their communities and our world a better place.
VOX Investigates teens work with professional journalists as mentors to produce video, audio and written stories, which are published online and in print. If you would like to receive free copies of our print edition at your school or community organization, please sign up here. Our next print edition will be distributed in December 2020. Papers can be mailed to you, or dropped off at your location. For our current distribution partners – please fill out this form even if you have received copies in the past. This form is specific to our December 2020 print edition and we want to be sure that we have all the information we need to safely distribute our newspapers to your location.
We also invite and share first-person voices of teens in partnership with community organizations. VOX brings self-expression workshops to partners’ teens, publishes information about partners’ services and resources, and includes partners in our community dialogue & showcase.
- Participate in the VI kick-off — Our next project starts Sat. Jan. 18, 2020, to help inform VOX’s awareness & coverage. Partners bring 2-3 teens to participate 12-3:30 p.m.
- Invite teens you serve to share their own voices & stories in a VOX workshop or using our templates and platforms.
- Bring teens to our semester-end community dialogue. This year’s events will be Sat. Dec. 14 (RSVP here) and Saturday May 9 (details to come).
- Share resources for teens to be published online and in print.
- Distribute published content to your stakeholders of all ages.
VOX Investigates Partners receive:
- High-quality programming — A free, customized self-expression workshop for youth participants and invitations to two free youth-led events (described above, sign up here)
- Visibility — Links in published works on VOX’s digital and social media platforms (and likely additional links on VOX’s media partner WABE); your organization information highlighted in our print and digital publications.
- Capacity-building through data that can inform your work and connections with peer organizations, donors and influencers. You’ll be invited to our Atlanta Teen Survey data sharing events and community conversations, aligned with the Southeastern Council on Foundation’s work in this area.
- Promotion of your events — VOX can publicize all partners’ teen-focused events to our regional audience.
Teens who complete the VOX Investigates program get:
- real-world journalism experience across different media platforms
- published portfolio pieces
- hands-on training in public speaking, project management, facilitation, events planning and more
- a new professional network of community supporters
- a written recommendation (or reference) letter
- community service hours
- a monetary stipend (at the end of the project).
Program participation requirements:
- High school-aged teens living in metro Atlanta
- Demonstrated interest in this project and availability to complete the requirements
- Participate as members of the VOX program, as a staff member or contributor, for the 2019-20 school year.
Teens can apply to this program during their New Member Training for VOX ATL teen staff. (Teens are invited to New Member Training on a first-come/first-served basis after registering to participate at voxat.org/join-the-fun.) Want to receive updates on all VOX’s opportunities for teens? Sign up for our newsletter here and be sure to select “updates for teens!” at the bottom of the form.
Contact Rachel@voxatl.org or 404-614-0040.