VOX Investigates is a semester-long project in which teens enrolled in VOX’s after-school program take a deep dive into different topics of that are important to Atlanta-area youth. Through reporting, self-expression and publishing, we share teens’ voices, information and resources to make change.
The next VOX Investigates topic will be equity in education.
VOX teens work with professional journalists as mentors to produce video, audio and written stories, which are published online and in print. If you would like to receive free copies of our print edition at your school or community organization, please sign up here.
We also solicit and share first-person voices of teens in partnership with community organizations. VOX brings self-expression workshops to partners’ teens, publishes information about partners’ services and resources, and includes partners in our community dialogue & showcase.
- Participate in the VI kick-off — this fall to be held on Sat. Sept 7 to help inform VOX’s awareness & coverage. Partners bring 2-3 teens to participate 12-3 p.m.
- Invite teens you serve to share their own voices & stories in a VOX workshop or using our templates and platforms
- Bring teens to our semester-end community dialogue. Next semester’s teen-led event will be Saturday afternoon, Dec. 14 (time and location TBA).
- Share resources for teens to be published online and in print
- Distribute published content to your stakeholders of all ages.
VOX Investigates Partners receive:
- High-quality programming — A free, customized self-expression workshop for youth participants and invitations to two free youth-led events (described above)
- Visibility — Links in published works on VOX’s digital and social media platforms (and likely additional links on VOX’s media partner WABE); your organization information highlighted in our print and digital publications and resource guide.
- Capacity-building — through data that can inform your work and connections with peer organizations, donors and influencers. You’ll be invited to our Atlanta Teen Survey data sharing event and community conversation about equity in education, aligned with the Southeastern Council on Foundation’s work in this area.
- Promotion of your events — VOX can publicize all partners’ teen-focused events to our regional audience.
Teens who complete the VOX Investigates program get:
- real-world journalism experience across different media platforms
- published portfolio pieces
- hands-on training in public speaking, project management, facilitation, events planning and more
- a new professional network of community supporters
- a written recommendation (or reference) letter
- community service hours
- a monetary stipend (at the end of the project).
Program participation requirements:
- High school-aged teens living in metro Atlanta
- Demonstrated interest in this project and availability to complete the requirements
- Participate as members of the VOX program, as a staff member or contributor, for the 2019-20 school year.
Teens can apply to this program during their New Member Training for VOX ATL teen staff. (Teens are invited to New Member Training on a first-come/first-served basis after registering to participate at voxat.org/join-the-fun.)
Contact Rachel@voxatl.org or 404-614-0040.