What is VOX Media Café?
The only program of its kind in metro Atlanta, VOX Media Café offers a unique hands-on-opportunity for teens to explore multimedia techniques for storytelling, while learning about the fundamentals of journalism and creating a tangible multimedia product. The sessions are led by a talented group of media professionals from across Atlanta who embrace VOX’s teen-driven philosophy and support teen participants in pursuing stories and creating pieces that interest them. Through this safe and experiential-learning opportunity, teens will network with media experts, take field trips to gather footage, visit local media organizations, create comprehensive media packages, and get to know peers from schools all over the city.
Important COVID-19 Update:
In order to guarantee the safety of both our participants and staff members, VOX will implement 3 free virtual two-week sessions that will encompass a modified version of our in-person VMC curriculum in place of our traditional VOX Media Cafe programming. Participation is limited and will be offered on a first come, first serve basis. CLICK HERE FOR UPDATED APPLICATION!
What This Looks Like:
- Participants will meet three times a week in the virtual space (on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays), from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. for a formal half-day session.
- There will be an optional afternoon skill-building session from 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Participants will still have the opportunity to build multimedia and journalism skills from the safety of their own homes, with support from our in-house journalists, interns and volunteers.
- We will be making use of platforms such as Zoom and GroupMe to make this happen, as we have been doing with our school year programming for the last two months to much success.
- Please note: A wifi connection with a laptop/tablet with a web camera or a smartphone with web camera capabilities will be integral to participation in this program. If a student has both, that will likely prove advantageous for multimedia creation and production.
VOX Media Café is open to teens 13-19, living in Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties. NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2020!
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION!
Over the course of each session: Teens will work to create multimedia and journalistic content, often including, but not limited to, writing, video, audio, and photography components, to be published on VOX’s website voxatl.org.
When is VOX Media Cafe?
VOX Media Cafe (VMC) will offer three two-week sessions in summer 2020. The third session is an advanced session, created for teens who already have participated in a prior session of VMC or are already VOX members, and are interested in taking their multimedia and journalism skills to the next level. VMC is a program for teens living in Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties.
June 2020 (June 1-5; June 8-12) Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
June 2020 (June 15-19; June 22-26) Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
Session 3: VMC Advanced Session* Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
July 2020 (July 6-10; 13-17)
*This session is only for teens who are already VOX Staff and Contributors, or who have previously attended a VMC session.
Cost & How to Sign Up:
Our virtual VOX Media Cafe programming will be offered FREE to all participants. We will however require a $25 deposit to reserve each participant’s spot. This deposit will be returned upon the participant’s start of the program.
Interested in Participating?
Fill out an application at: http://bit.ly/vmc2020